Baked sweet potato apple cranberry. YES. When I’m able to take three of my favorite foods and put them into a dish ALL AT THE SAME TIME, there isn’t really anything better than that. And to top it off, the dish is healthy AND Whole30 compliant? SIGN ME UP.
That’s basically what I said last year when I saw a similar recipe on Stupid Easy Paleo, a fantastic resource for all things Paleo and Whole30. I made the dish with a few of my own tweaks, and shared it on a Whole30 Facebook page that I help manage. I had no idea how much of a hit it would be, and unfortunately I didn’t write down my recipe to be able to share!
No worries. I have it all fixed now.
Today I decided to recreate the baked sweet potato apple cranberry dish for you guys so you can make it too! Here is my version of the recipe:
Baked Sweet Potato Apple Cranberry
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 apple, washed and diced (no need to peel)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (NOT dried cranberries)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp ground cinnamon
- salt to taste
- (Optional: walnut pieces)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease inside of 8x8 glass baking dish with coconut oil (or cooking spray if not following Whole30/Paleo).
- Add sweet potatoes, apples, and cranberries to dish, spreading evenly.
- Lightly dust top with cinnamon.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until potato and apple pieces are softened and "fork tender."
- Salt to taste after cooking. Top with a few walnut pieces for crunch if you like. Enjoy!
This dish is amazing for fall and winter, and I even served it one year at Christmas. I wasn’t following the Whole30 at that time, so we sprinkled crumbled feta cheese on top for some added flavor. It was a hit.
If you want to be able to make this at other times during the year, you may want to stock up on fresh cranberries and freeze them. Dried cranberries aren’t recommended due to added ingredients that aren’t Whole30 compliant.
This recipe is also easily doubled for a family or for extra leftovers. I decided to keep the recipe small (maybe 2 servings?) because my family doesn’t always want to eat my Whole30 foods. And honestly – that’s ok with me because I love this dish so much that I want it all for myself!
Let me know if you try out this baked sweet potato apple cranberry recipe, and tell me what you think!
Looking for more paleo recipes? Check out this roundup I did HERE.